I used to use a canopy and surround sides that I could zip up at night when I crafted. While I loved the setup, it had 2 major problems.
1. Moisture from the ground was trapped inside the space, which was bad for my books.
2. The weight of books, canopy and tables became too much for me because I have no one to help me set up or pack up.
I began to look for a solution and when my husband purchased a larger trailer to haul his ATV, my attention turned to the trailer we no longer needed. When I pitched the idea to him of making the trailer into a vending booth for my books, he supported me. So it was, that the Book Trailer began.
I stripped it down to the frame he had built and painted it. My colors were purple, gray and white.
I wanted to build it so it could be used to haul his ATV or his wheel chair. It is a tilt/trailer, so I needed to be careful to keep that functional.
Hubby watched my progress - when he wasn't snoozing.
I printed out the lettering on multiple sheets of paper and used a utility knife to cut stencils. I outlined the letters and then painted them.
Notice the building in the background with the tarp on it. I built that to protect my table saw.
If you think I enjoy the creativity of building my own things, you are right. To the right of that building and up the hill a little is the "safe yard" and coop I built for my chickens.
I built the bottom of the trailer first, using continuous hinges to mount the part that folded down as a base for my books.
I built the framework for the top separate, always with the idea that it might need to be removed, so I mounted it like you would a camper, on top of the metal frame.
Thinking about getting the ATV in it, I made the doors in the back double so they could swing completely open. This was tricky, because the metal frame there was meant to hold a 2" x 12" board so the ATV wouldn't slide out. I drilled holes in the metal and bolted 2" x 4" boards to mount the doors on.
Since I also wanted to haul lumber in it, and it wasn't quite 8' long, I left an opening below the door for boards to stick out.
When the sides were opened, they needed supports, so I figured out how to do that.
One of my hobbies is painting, and I always wanted to paint a large mural - so here was my opportunity. I painted a mural on each side.
I laid these on a table on our deck to paint them.
My husband built the deck when we moved here in 2006 and I designed and mostly built the roof over it. That was the year before I built my trailer. Handy.
After putting on the upper sides, I completed the front.
I used cord and heavy eye bolts to hold the sides up. Later I replaced the cords with chains. I had to use a step stool to hook the cord into the eye bolts each time at a show. Later, I put 45 degree 3/4 PVC in each place and made it so I could lift and lower it from the inside, eliminating the need for the step stool.
I used J channel over the upper sides to carry the water away. I sat racks up on the sides to display my books. I used a table over the tongue when showing, so that people wouldn't trip over it. I made a step that also kept the trailer steady when not attached to my car. This picture was taken at a show in Cane Hill.
We had a storm and one tent was blown over. The trailer had no issues.
The book trailer is an ongoing project. This year I added a cabinet in the front (no longer considering hauling the ATV in it) I keep my books in waterproof containers inside this cabinet. The top is a counter that lifts up so I can put my display books there.
I have a battery powered fan that I use. I'm up off the hot pavement or moisture and bugs on the ground. The open design allows air to flow through and I can vend from either or both sides. If there is wind, I close that side. I always have shade.
When I bring my trailer home from a show, I park it and it is ready for the next show. No hauling books and tables in and out of a vehicle.
"I write for pleasure - yours and mine."